HANDS-ON TIME: 25 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
These family-friendly burgers get an added kick of flavor (and juiciness) thanks to grated cheese and onion, plus a generous dollop of mashed avocado.
Canola oil, for the grate
1 avocado, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Kosher salt and ground pepper
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey, preferably dark meat
4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
1/2 small red onion, half grated and half thinly sliced
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
- Heat grill to medium-high. Once it is hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush. Just before grilling, oil the grate.
- Mix together the avocado, lime juice, and small bowl until combined.
- Gently mix together the turkey, Cheddar, grated onion, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with your hands in a medium bowl until just combined. From the turkey mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Use your fingers to make a shallow well in the top of each patty (this will prevent over-plumping during cooking).
- Grill the burgers until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165•F, about 6 to 8 minutes each side. Grill the buns, split side down, until toasted, 5 to 10 seconds each side.
- Stack the burgers, sliced onion, and avocado mixture between the buns.